When you live through something frightening, painful, or disturbing, the memories can haunt you for a long time to come. This often leads to abusing drugs and alcohol to numb the pain, which can result in addiction. If you’re stuck in this cycle of PTSD and substance abuse, then it’s important to turn to a recovery center offering trauma informed care.
PTSD and Substance Abuse: A Vicious Cycle
Many people struggling with drug and alcohol abuse are also suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). The disorder affects up to 7.7 million Americans each year. It’s usually associated with military veterans, but it’s also common in those who’ve been through abuse, robberies, car accidents, shootings, and other frightening scenarios. If you’re struggling with an addiction, you may have PTSD and not even know it.
The symptoms of PTSD include:
- Difficulty sleeping due to insomnia or nightmares
- Flashbacks of the traumatic event or series of events
- Agitation, irritability, hostility, or other emotional problems
- Agoraphobia and social isolation
- Heightened reactions to everyday situations, such as experiencing adrenaline rushes when startled
- Guilt or remorse over the negative situations of the past
- Depression and anxiety
Time to Reach for Help: Seeking Healing and Renewal
It can be difficult to break free from the cycle of PTSD and substance abuse. You don’t want to deal with any of the above symptoms, and drugs and alcohol make you feel better. However, over time, drugs and alcohol also begin causing additional problems or worsening the challenges you’re already facing due to your PTSD.
At this stage, it can be difficult to break free. To your left, you have a door that leads you further into substance abuse. To your right, there’s a road that leads to sobriety, but you’ll face drowning in frightening memories and emotions from your past. You’re stuck at a crossroads. What do you do?
Dual Diagnosis Recovery Center: Ending the Struggle with PTSD and Substance Abuse
You shouldn’t try to heal from PTSD by yourself. Don’t ignore the problem and hope that it goes away on its own, either. Instead, empower yourself by enlisting the help of a qualified recovery team. Phoenix Rising is dedicated to helping clients gain the skills and perspectives needed for renewal.
Programs offered at Phoenix Rising include:
- Dual diagnosis treatment for clients who are dealing with both substance addiction and emotional disorders like PTSD
- Detox, partial hospitalization program, and residential treatment
- Inpatient, outpatient, and extended care
- Sober living
- Neuro and biofeedback
- Holistic therapy options, such as equine therapy and exercise programs
It’s time you break free from the cycle of PTSD and substance abuse. You can heal and bring about a new era of renewal, but only if you reach out to qualified professionals for the help you need. Contact Phoenix Rising today at 855.232.8211, and begin your journey toward recovery.